Monday, February 11, 2008

Pieces

Nicholas recently had his tonsils and adenoids removed so we were on what I like to call a "two week, Physician imposed house arrest." The first week was fine, we watched a lot of movies and things were pretty low key. It was nice to break free from the hustle and bustle of every day life and just be with my kids for a while. The second week? Well, that was not so pleasant. Nicholas had hit that stage where he was feeling better but was still unable to go about his normal routine so he was cranky and frustrated. As for me? I was climbing the walls in boredom. There are only so many times I can watch Shrek, the Star Wars movies or Noggin before I go insane. (Clay went to work every day- the lucky guy!) Even Jeremy was frustrated because he couldn't engage in one of his favorite activities- crawling all over his brother. We were a cranky bunch looking for a distraction so out of sheer desperation I pulled out some puzzles and we got to work.

I had forgotten how soothing puzzles can be! We worked on a 500 piece puzzle that I was sure would be out of Nicholas' range but he took to the task immediately. Puzzles are actually a great thing for children because as they play they are learning colors, shapes, math skills and spatial concepts. I really enjoyed watching Nicholas fit the pieces together because I could see his mind working as he discarded a piece or put an entire section together. Jeremy got into the act as he would helpfully "hand" us a puzzle piece whether we needed it or not. Of course I had more practice with puzzles so I was faster than Nicholas but somehow that stinker always managed to put in the last few pieces.

Nicholas has made a full recovery and we are back to our normal routine but the puzzle time still continues. At night you can find all four of us crowded around the coffee table, working on a puzzle and quietly chatting away. When the boys go to bed Clay and I come back to the puzzle and talk about our day. It may not be the most romantic of dates but working on a puzzle together helps us to reconnect. I know we sound like the dork family of the year, but I am really enjoying this new way our family has found to spend time together. Maybe house arrest wasn't so bad after all.

3 comments:

ksp said...

Laura, What a great way to spend time with the family and work on critical thinking stills.

I recently rediscovered puzzles too. Got 2 for Christmas - the photomosaic disney puzzles. They are tough!

DB said...

Nice. :)

Walt Mussell said...

Laura, I feel for you. I remember when Andrew had his tonsils and adenoids out. He was not a happy camper. We did it so that it would coincide with spring break and he would miss the least amount of school. It was tough on him. My mother-in-law came and stayed with us for a week to help us care for him.