Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pumpkin Picking

October is here, the leaves are turning and Halloween is right around the corner. I love this time of year because there are so many things to do, like wander around apple orchards and pumpkin patches. We have a Mallard family tradition where we head to our favorite pumpkin patch, pick out one pumpkin for each person in the family, and carve them in funny different ways. When Nicholas was 5 months old we made a baby pumpkin, complete with one of Nick's pacifiers stuck in the pumpkin's mouth. Last year, when I was pregnant with Jeremy and sicker than sick, my husband made my pumpkin look like it also had morning sickness. Most of the time we use our imagination to create funny faces but there are some great templates available on the Internet. If you are looking for some inspiration, here are a few sites I like:

http://www.pumpkinlady.com/pattern.htm
http://www.ehow.com/halloween/templates.html
http://www.carvingpumpkins.com/

I used to buy the pumpkin carving kits available in the store but found the tools to be too flimsy to be useful so now I save my money and raid my kitchen drawers. I like to use a large spoon to scoop out the pumpkin seeds, a serrated knife to carve large details and a paring knife for smaller details. Also, instead of cutting around the stem to make a lid for the pumpkin, I cut off the bottom so I can use the stem as a handle when I place the pumpkin over the light source. Some people prefer real candles but I like to use the battery operated candles in my pumpkins as I worry about an open flame being so close to tiny little trick or treaters.

One of the best things about carving pumpkins is toasted pumpkin seeds. The seeds are easy to make, nutritious, and are a great snack on Halloween night when the candy bars are calling your name. This is my favorite toasted pumpkin seed recipe:

Separate pumpkin seeds from the pulp by placing the seeds in a colander and rinsing under cold water. You will need about 2 cups or the amount in one large pumpkin.
Spread the seeds on paper towels to dry overnight or microwave for 2-3 minutes until dry.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place dried seeds on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
Sprinkle the seeds with 2 tsp. oil, butter or spray with cooking spray until covered; add salt and toss to coat.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until seeds are dry, golden and crunchy; stirring occasionally.
Store seeds in an airtight container.

Now that you know one of my favorite Halloween activities, I would love to hear about some of your Halloween traditions. What makes the season special for you?

Happy Halloween!

No comments: